August 17, 2007

A Treat...


"Get dressed. We're eating at the best pasta restaurant in the country tonight!" my friend, Trisha, hollered at me. "Can we just call for a delivery?" I asked, pouting. "No", she replied with a tone of finality."We are gonna give ourselves a treat tonight, trust me!", she added. Trisha has been bugging me for the past days to go out and accompany her traipsing around the city. I always tried to give out all the excuses that I can think of to avoid being pulled out from my ever comfortable chair and be separated from my notebook.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't want to spend time with one of my close friends, I do. It's just that when it comes to Trisha, having fun means GUYS! She loves to be showered with male attention and for her, it comes naturally. In the past, we used to enjoy the times along with our other friends when we make a bet on who can first find the lucky guy (or should I say unlucky?) who will pay our tab for the night.

After a few years, we've grown out of those silly games not because we can already afford our own dinner and drinks but because we like to spend more quality time with our friends than spending our time working up our charms on a poor unsuspecting chap although sometimes Trisha still has the tendency to go back to the old ways every once in awhile. Seeing her bored expression with a glint of mischievous fire in her eyes, I sensed that tonight is one of those "once in awhile".


" the center of Robinsons Walk "
I resigned myself to the fact that I can't get out of her company and whatever it is she has in store for us tonight. We took a cab and went to Robinsons Walk. True to her word, we ate the best pasta I've ever eaten in my entire life! "Skechers" is the pasta restaurant that allows you to design your own pizza and pasta. They also have the sweetest and softest lamb chops I've ever tasted.





After a hearty meal, we proceeded to walk down the lighted streets toward the best nightspot in town, Clarke Quay. We enjoyed taking each others photos along the riverbank of the famous Singapore River. We passed by a couple of the famous discos and resto bars in the city, Attica, One Night Stand, MOS (Ministry of Sounds), to name a few. We stopped in front of the River Taxi stand and debated whether we will try taking a ride out on the riverboat tonight or in the morning when the scenic views along the river can be more clear on our photos. We opted for the latter. We took a couple of more steps and heard the booming voice of a man selling his Turkish Ice Cream not far from us surrounded by a group of crowd. He got our attention for a couple of minutes due to his unique antics in preparing the ice cream when Trisha suddenly grabbed my hand and dragged me to a bar stand placed outside a resto bar, plopped down on an empty seat and immediately ordered a drink without sparing a glance in my direction.



I thought to myself, "Here we go again." but still I continued to take the next available seat to her and gave my order too. For the first hour, we enjoyed chatting about everything and checking the people and place around us. We were both having fun checking out the different get ups of the passersby as well as some of the guys God given endowments when something in the distance caught our eye. We saw a spherical metal structure with 3 seats inside being tossed high above in the air by a bungee rope tied to 2 long metal structures on each side of the riverbank. Our interest got piqued and we asked the friendly bartender about it.



It is called G-MAX Ultimate Bungy and it costs S$40 for a 3minute experience. We looked at each other with a wide yet excited grins on our faces. "Shall we try it?", I said. My friend nodded and added, "but let's look for someone to treat us for it." I just gave her a smile and slightly shook my head at her ways. "Whatever, but you do the work!", I answered. It took her only 15 minutes before her prey started his way on our side of the bar. The menu for tonight are 2 Australian guys in their mid 30's who are here for a week to cover a food and wine showcase from different countries all over the world for their magazine. After the exchanging of cards, the conversation flowed smoothly. It didn't take Trisha long before she started working up on her mission. Indeed, the guys were obliging enough to fulfill our wish. After we informed the bartender that we will just come back after trying the Ultimate Bungy and to keep our tab open, we proceeded down the path to try one of the most exhilarating experience in my life! (this part I will dedicate on a separate post)

The night continued to crawl as we enjoyed the company of these two Australians who surprisingly are quite gentlemen. When the time reached three in the morning and after having 5 frozen mango margaritas for myself and 7 for Trisha, we caught each others eye across the table and understood that now is our cue to start our graceful exit. We thanked the gentlemen for their time and assured them that we enjoyed it immensely and started giving our excuses.

On the way home, we were both still animatedly talking about the bungee experience.

Before retiring for the night, Trisha looked at me and said, "So, did you have fun?". I smiled and nodded. "Told you we are gonna give ourselves a treat!", she quipped.

That statement sent us bursting into laughter for we not only were treated a ride on the bungy but also on our tab as well. Back to the good ol' days....

1 comment:

lucille said...

we had fun at that time dear... and come to think of it, that's where our bonding started... hehehe