November 5, 2007

Batam Island, Indonesia

November 4, 7:45am, I found myself going to Harbourfront where I bought a ticket to Batam, Indonesia. It's a one day trip. After being cooped inside my pad for the whole day yesterday, I decided to get some fresh air and go to a place where I won't be able to see a lot of people with Chinese or Indian origin.

And indeed I got what I wanted! It was like stepping home. The people in Batam look like Filipinos.

"...where the town Mayor abides."

I arrived at 11:30 am, Indonesian time which was an hour behind Singapore. I then started walking without a specific direction in mind when I heard a voice (and no, it's not from God Himself) in a not too distant area booming over. I found out that it was from a temple or something to that extent (don't ask me the name or what religion it is for I have no idea! I tried asking some of the locals around the area but it seems I get blank stares or a response that is equivalent to alien talk).
So, I continued on and found myself in front of a mall (it's not that big though, kind of like Gaisano Mall in Cebu). I ended up buying a bag! To my sheer pleasure, I discovered that this place is not as expensive as Singapore and it's a good place to shop. (although my primary reason to come here was to take a breather, I just can't resist!) The main city in this area is Batam Center, there's another city named Nagoya where seafoods abound (Since I'm not fond with that menu and after knowing it's 20km from where I'm at, I decided to stay put.) I spent 1 1/2 hours in that mall named "
Barata" before I started my way again, this time, towards a much larger establishment they call MegaMall-Batam Center.

I took my lunch at
Bistro Godiva Coffee where to my amazement is an all-smoking area! (by the way, this one is located inside the mall itself. Made me remember the Philippine malls years ago.) After stuffing myself, I started walking around the shops. Souvenir items and accessories added to my purchased list. When the soles of my feet begin to hurt, I took a seat at the same restaurant/coffee shop where I had my lunch and got myself a Frappe to quench my thirst (their Frappe is good!). This is when I noticed that its supervisor is quite good-looking! (definitely my type and I bet Joeyboi, he's your type too!) Moments like this make me miss my dear friends more. It seems that checking out guys is not as fun as they were around (nevertheless, their absence didn't stop my wandering eyes. hehehe. Who can blame me? I'm unattached anyway! Besides, why am I defending myself??) Oh well, it took me 30 minutes to forget the presence of Mr. Good-looking and started to enjoy my drink and my Marlboro. It was already 3:30pm when I left that place. (sorry Joey I was not able to get his name or number but I was able to get a few seconds eye contact with him before I stood up and made my grand exit. hehe)

I took a last walk around the area before heading home. One thing I learned about this place is that the locals are quite friendly, a far cry from Singaporeans. They easily give out a smile and even if their English vocabulary is limited, they never fail to try. Another thing I noted while walking the streets is that these people easily offer a ride. I got offered more than ten times and one was even from a policeman in a police car! (I politely declined to all though since I don't even know where I'm going!) I ended my wanderings at 4:00pm Indo time and said goodbye to the place.

Postscript

Overall, it was a nice experience. I'll probably come back and may be stay for at least a night with friends. Hope Mr. Good-looking would still be around! Hahahaha (What's wrong with me? I'm beginning to be like Joey! Supervisor??)

By the way Joeyboi, I found out as I checked information about this place online that more than half of the population are single! Good information, right? Interested? hahahaha

7 comments:

snglguy said...

A good frappe and a good-looking guy behind the counter. Can there be a more lethal combination for a single, unattached woman? LOL :-D

So the name of the mall is Barata? Barato in Bicol means cheap, mura kaya dun? Hehe :-D

lucille said...

snglguy: it's mura dun! yup, it;s a lethal combination... good thing i only stayed there for a couple of hours. hehehe

lucille said...

joey, ako gibilin kung aha nako siya nakit-an. hahahahaha... sayang!

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

Hi, Lucille!
That's a very nice experience...
Lots of single in their population? That's quite amazing! Kung wala lang koy girlfriend karon, I might as well visit that place for me to find my fortune ;)

lucille said...

ur right dodong flores! it's a nice place to check out if ur single! hehehe... godbless!

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

I wish I was there before the advent of my girlfriend, Hahaha...

lucille said...

dodong flores: hahahahaha... kaw talaga!